Bakery Suien, Okinawa

June 2019, Okinawa
I took many photos as I knew it could be my only trip to this small bakery.
I got to know about Suien Bakery from &Premium magazine. So when I was in Okinawa, I tried to check how to go to the bakery cafe on my own. None of my hosts stay near to it.

I found out that customers can order their bread box online. So I wrote an email to the bakery to find out how. They basically pack freshly baked bread then post to customers living on the main island. As a foreigner, I don't have any local bank account to transfer payment to them. I asked for the help of my host to pay, then I would pay her with cash. She told the husband about my request, and surprisingly he offered to drive me to the cafe to buy bread. 
It's a 1.5hour journey!
They were serious about it, so right after lunch the four of us, including another wwoofer from France, off to Suien Bakery! 
I quickly replied the bakery that I will be there soon.

The journey wasn't boring at all. 
We could view the sea and greens most of the time, and sometimes we passed by some interesting houses (to me, at least).



I was in awe looking at the beautiful house of the bakery cafe. 
Probably because it's a Sunday, the cafe was a full house.



Luckily there were bakes available for us to grab. 
And I tried to check with the staff at the counter who was the one I corresponded through email, and she said she's the one. We had a delightful quick chat while my host paid for the bread (I was supposed to do that but she insisted she would).









We shared the bread for breakfast for the next few days. 
It was my first time having sourdough bread after 1 month staying in Okinawa. 
You can imagine how terharu (touched in Malay) I was!

P/s: Coincidentally, I met the bakery staff Miumu-san two days later at another bakery, Munakatado. Then the third time at Paramita Cafe two week later. We said Okinawa is small.

Comments

Popular Posts