Sourdough babka (vegan)

My first time baking babka.
It's sourdough, organic and vegan.


I was supposed to make chocolate sauce for the filling, but I was lazy to make.
So I made it like cinnamon roll, just spread the mixture of vegan butter, sugar, salt, cocoa powder and cinnamon powder on the dough.
Making the braid is fun too, although it's a bit messy.
Lastly, sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top.

Trust me, it's magic.

 
Looks promising, ay?
It's not bad at all, maybe just a little sweeter...

I'll make again!

My own recipe for babka

for the dough:
100g sourdough starter
240g water / soymilk
50g wholemeal flour
200g plain flour
150g high protein bread flour
5g sea salt
25g molasses sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1tbsp coconut cooking oil

for the filling:
25g molasses sugar
4tsp cocoa powder
4tsp vegan butter / coconut oil
A pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

Coarse sea salt and chocolate chips for topping
(optional)


I usually make the dough for overnight low temperature fermentation. 
So I only mix the filling ingredients in the morning before I flatten the dough for spreading.
Roll the dough like making cinnamon roll, but instead of cut into several small rolls, this one to be cut into half along the dough. 
Then braid them and put into cake tin. Let them sit in the room temperature (tropical weather) for an hour before baking.
I bake it for total time 35 minutes at 200°C.




Comments

Popular Posts